New York State Learning Standards for Physical Education
(click on standard for more details)
STANDARD 1 — PERSONAL HEALTH AND FITNESS
- Students will perform basic motor and manipulative
- They will attain competency in a variety of physical
activities and proficiency in a few select complex motor and sport
- Students will design personal fitness programs to
improve cardiorespiratory endurance, flexibility, muscular strength,
endurance, and body composition.
STANDARD 2 — A SAFE AND HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT
- Students will demonstrate responsible personal and
social behavior while engaged in physical activity.
- They will understand that physical activity provides
the opportunity for enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and
- Students will be able to identify safety hazards and
react effectively to ensure a safe and positive experience for all
STANDARD 3 — RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Students will be aware of and able to access
opportunities available to them within their community to engage in
- They will be informed consumers and be able to evaluate
facilities and programs.
- Students will also be aware of some career options in
the field of physical fitness and sport.